Colin’s IT, Security and Working Life blog

January 1, 2010

Fixing Windows Update error 80244021

Filed under: Fault Finding — chaplic @ 8:11 pm

 

Spotted on a couple of my machines, windows update was not working, with the above error:

 

image

 

The Microsoft TechNet article is pretty unhelpful, suggesting the windows update service is having trouble connecting, possibly an on-machine firewall stopping it.

Nothing that should be stopping this springs to mind, so my first concern is malware.  A quick scan by Malwarebytes didn’t show anything; sadly I know that doesn’t guarantee we’re OK. I had a quick look at the host file; nothing changed there. The IP addresses associated with the windowsupdate DNS names appeared to be OK. It did seem as if the PC was being blocked from geting updates.

So, what is actually happening when I click “Get updates” ?

I needed something to let me see behind the lovely chromed update UI. The tool I chose was was fiddler. Mainly used by people debugging websites, it also has the useful knack of sniffing all http traffic from the machine. Let’s fire it up and hit the “try again” button:

 

image

 

We can see the update process requesting the wuident.cab from a server jelly.dessert.local

clearly, the machine in question doesn’t belong to WindowsUpdate. Fortunately, there’s an explanation which is less worrying than some uber-weird virus.

A few weeks ago, I need a couple hundred GBs of disk space for some new VMs in a hurry. Being in a tight spot, I uninstalled WUS which conveniently was taking up about that much space; I then of course changed group policy so that my dozen or so  machines talked to windows update directly

It would appear, however, that a couple of machines have group-policy update issues and never got the update changing from using a local WUS to the microsoft update servers.

So a fairly predictable fix from there on in. But the original fault-finding would be soooo much easier with a little more diagnostic error messages, Microsoft!

 

image

Advertisements

1 Comment »

  1. Good post, I found my issue was related to the proxy being set on the server, once I removed it as all my servers pull from WSUS it worked fine.

    Comment by putneyboy — July 14, 2010 @ 11:25 am


RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: